“No man is an island, entire of itself. Our lives are involved with one another, through innumerable interactions they are linked together. No one lives alone. No one sins alone. No one is saved alone. The lives of others continually spill over into mine: in what I think, say, do and achieve. And conversely, my life spills over into that of others: for better and worse.” Pope Benedict XVI
Review and Thoughts:
Foster Child: a child without parental support and protection, placed with a person or family to be cared for, usually by local welfare services or by court order. This is Gilly Hopkins. Gilly, or Galadriel Hopkins, is an eleven year old girl who is starting over yet again in the third foster home in three years through circumstances beyond her control. Gilly’s life experiences have forced her to create a list of rules written on her heart. These rigid rules are what she fights to live by:
- I will accept no kisses or hugs.
- I will be clever and hard to manage.
- I will dare anyone to accept me or change me.
- I will be in charge of my own life.
- I will never appear the fool.
- I will never need help.
- I will be in charge of my education by making teachers treat me differently.
- I will be tough.
- I will continue to build a reputation and be proud of it.
- I will never attach myself to something that is likely to blow away some day.
- I will be Galadriel Hopkins – some day.